10/18/09

To cheat, or not to cheat?

So I've been a vegetarian since Spring Break of 2009. This came at a good time, as spring-y foods lend themselves to the "wow, I still have 10 lbs. from winter" bullshit that we all go through. In addition, my roommate and I were halfway through our Spring semester at school, and her sustainability class had inspired her to also eat less meat. I made the plunge, and gave up all meat cold turkey...


Which brings me to my next issue. My only meat-based holiday that I had passed through so far was Independence Day, and trading in peach-mango smoothies instead of burgers wasn't too hard. (After all, I always have BBQ sauce on my veggie patties anyway.....so it wasn't like I was missing out on too much) But NOW, my desire to induce much needed sleep during the last week of November puzzled me. I had primarily given up meat because I felt that it was the best thing for my body. Seeing as though a lean baked turkey would probably not send my body into detox mode (like the much-missed Billy Goat's burgers.....no fries, chips!), I wanted to take some time to reconsider this decision.

After some reading about veggie Turkey-Day alternatives, I had made the final decision not to have an extra-marital affair with the diet that has made me feel lighter and happier than ever before. As my dear, darling friend JZ was telling me, an important figure who factors into one third of my decision to be a vegetarian, not eating it will just leave more room for other stuff that I like....PUMPKIN PIE! I'm such a pumpkin fanatic, I'm going to have vitamin A coming out of my ears by the end of the year!

Above all, this had just better not mean that I have to eat onions.....


[For more: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97137098
and http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/vegetarian-thanksgiving-recipes-recipe.html ]

2 comments:

  1. Don't cheat!!! You're doing such a great thing already by trying vegetarianism - hang in there! Keep finding reasons to be inspired! And pumpkin pie is my favorite too - I'll be sure to put a recipe or two up of it for Thanksgiving (as well as animal-friendly alternatives to turkey!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister (a longer- than- I veggie) and I will probably surprise my folks with many vegan dishes....Vegetarian Times to thank!

    Thank you for the support and input! :)

    ReplyDelete